The History of Twin Bayous – A Matter of Time

I figured it was only a matter of time before Joe Monday came to town looking for us. It was not a secret that Wendy was born and raised in Moonshine Falls and any detective would eventually “guess” that maybe we were hiding out in this town.

I thought that I was well prepared for the eventual arrival of Mr. Monday, but I feel as though I had become sidetracked by a cop car that was parked in front of our house 24×7. As it turns out, the car parked out front was merely coincidental and had nothing to do with what eventually went down between me and Joe Monday.

I don’t know when exactly Joe arrive in Moonshine Falls. My hunch is that he was only a couple of days behind us. How he managed to do what he did is still a bit of a mystery to me, but I try and not dwell on it.

Here is what happened…
Wendy is a technophobe. She hates television, but she knows that I love to watch the mystery shows like Colombo and McMillan and Wife. We were only in the house a few days before she got mad and broke the TV set.

But being the sweetheart that she is, she immediately got on the phone and called a TV repairperson.

Apparently, Joe had managed to tap our phone and was intercepting our calls from the motel just down the street.

It was Saturday morning and I had had a bit too much to drink the night before. As a result, I was in bed still sleeping well after the sun came up. Wendy needed to step out for a while and had told the TV repairperson, a woman, that she would leave the key under the mat.

Yet being just down the street Joe Monday came to the house first and let himself in.

He began tampering with the TV.

He was working quickly, but did not finish before the real repair-person showed up and challenged him.

They got into a fight and what happened after that is a mystery. The repair person belonged to one of the clans of hill folks who lived up the mountains above Moonshine Falls. Yet, no one seems to know where she went. It was believed that the repair-person left town and did not tell anyone where she was going.

I heard none of the ruckus that went on downstairs and Wendy was still out when I got up.

I first went into the dining room and fixed myself a “hair-of-the-dog” cocktail to take the edge off.

Then I went into the living room to do as I do every Saturday morning and that is to watch Scooby’s All-Star Laff-A-Lympics.

However, I found the TV set to not be working. Naturally I freaked out.

So, I finished my drink and I then proceeded to repair the TV set.

That is when I received the shock of my life.

Or should I say, the shock that ended my life.

Yes, that is correct, my life ended on May 6, 1980. I was 40 years old.

At first, I really did not understand what had happened. One moment, I was flat on the floor and the next I was back up and fixing the TV set.

I got the set working and was able to catch the second hour of Scooby Doo and Friends.

But when Wendy came home and started crying, I finally realized that something terrible had happened.

Soon she composed herself and this was the second time that I had seen her with a magic wand in her hand.

Wendy now had some business that she needed to take care off. Changing her clothes, she headed out to the gym on the far side of town…


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s